J. & R. Thyne
J. & R. Thyne, Seedsmen, Florists, and Floral Decorative Artists, 83, St. Vincent Street.—
One of the foremost houses in its important line in the West of Scotland is that of Messrs. J. & R. Thyne. This old and notable business was founded upwards of sixty years ago in the Argyle Street Arcade. Subsequently it was transferred to Buchanan Street, and about three years ago a move was made to the present eligible and advantageous site in St. Vincent Street, where extensive and commodious premises are occupied. The personnel of the firm is now composed of Mr. Robert Thyne and Mr. James Thyne McCullum, who retain the original title of the house as above given. The firm’s nurseries are situate at Kelvinside, the pretty western suburb of Glasgow, and cover a large area of ground. The stock held at the warehouse in St. Vincent Street is one of great comprehensiveness and value. Messrs. Thyne issue a most complete and exhaustive catalogue, which gives full information and particulars of the various seeds and garden requisites in which they deal.
Briefly, the firm are merchants in all kinds of high-class flower seeds, and supply also every description of superior vegetable seeds, together with garden implements and accessories in complete variety. Special attention may be drawn to their excellent strains of Aster, Auricula, Begonia, Calceolaria, Carnation, Cineraria, Dahlia, Marigold, Pansy, Primula, Stock and Zinnia Seeds, all specially grown for the house, and notable for the satisfaction they have given during many years ; and the firm have on hand a fine stock of seed potatoes in all the best varieties, to which they have given very careful attention of late. As general seedsmen Messrs. Thyne have an established reputation of the first Order of eminence, and as floral decorators they have no superior in Scotland. This latter department is a distinct specialité of the house, and many important contracts in connection therewith are annually completed in the most thoroughly satisfactory manner.
In November, 1887, Messrs. Thyne issued invitations to upwards of four thousand of the leading residents of Glasgow and vicinity to an “Autumn Exhibition of Flowers” at their beautiful Kelvinside nurseries. This was decidedly the floral “event of the season”, and was attended by the elite of the aristocracy and gentry of the West Country. The display was in every respect creditable to the house and commensurate with its eminent and well-maintained position. The trade controlled by the house is one of widespread extent and magnitude, and its customers are numbered among residents in all parts of the world, seeds for exportation having received the special attention and consideration of the firm. Messrs. Thyne are prominently to the front at the Glasgow International Exhibition (1888), and are the only florists having a stand inside the Exhibition building. Mr. McCallum, the second partner, is a member of the Exhibition Committee. This gentleman is also notable as a recognised authority on matters horticultural, and in November last delivered a highly interesting and successful lecture on the progress of horticulture at the invitation of the Philosophical Society.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)