Tudhope Brothers, Engineers’ Ironmongers, 62, West Howard Street.—
This business ranks among the thriving and successful in Glasgow. It was originally established in 1870, and although carried on as Tudhope Brothers, Mr. James Tudhope is the sole proprietor. The premises occupied comprise warehouses and offices, the former being heavily stocked with a great variety of goods incidental to the trade of engineers and ironmongers.
Among the leading features may be mentioned a large supply of chain known under various technical names. Bellows, braces, anvils, pulley blocks, hammers, nails, shovels, &c., are also comprised within the stock, in addition to such goods as sponge cloths, files, lifting jacks, stocks and dies, steam tubes, washers, waste, and grindstones. In every department the firm have devoted special attention to keeping goods of the most superior quality, and they have every description of tools and implements used by engineers, shipbuilders, colliery-owners, ironmongers, &c. A large business is also done in iron castings, steel, and as india-rubber merchants, the firm dealing largely in the best goods required by those patronising these lines.
An extensive business is done among a very influential connection that is mostly confined to the immediate locality of Glasgow. The business is admirably managed and has a first-class reputation in the trade.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)