James Watson & Co.
James Watson & Co., Iron Merchants, 26, Renfield Street.—
This business was established in the year 1847 by Mr. James Watson, originally at 76, St. Vincent Street, and has been most intimately associated with the progress and development of the iron industry from that period up to the present time. Soon after the foundation of the business Mr. Sivewright joined Mr. Watson, and the firm was known as Messrs. Sivewright, Watson & Co., up to the year 1853, when Mr. Sivewright retired. The style of the firm now being Messrs. James Watson & Co., the office was removed to 103, St. Vincent Street, and in 1876 the present handsome and commodious premises were acquired. Mr. Robert Donaldson, together with his brother Mr. Alexander, became partners in the firm about 1858 ; these gentlemen had previously been associated with Mr. Watson in forming the nucleus of this extensive business, and to the active exertions of these gentlemen is greatly due the influential position this firm has attained.
Messrs. James Watson Co. have branch establishments in Middlesboro, Liverpool, and Swansea, and at all these places do a very large business in pig-iron, supplying most of the principal iron foundries and the malleable iron works. The export business of this firm is very extensive, and is probably the largest in the United Kingdom. They are well known in the Continental, American, and Colonial markets. A large and efficient staff of experienced clerks, correspondents, and assistants are engaged in the various departments, the business throughout being conducted with marked ability, energy, and enterprise. Messrs. James Watson & Co. issue a daily report of the iron market, and also a weekly and annual report of the iron trade. The present partnership consists of Mr. Wm. A. Donaldson, Mr. J. MacLellan, Mr. Thos. N. McKinnon, and Mr. P. Donaldson. Mr. W. A. D. Donaldson is the President of the Scotch Pig-Iron Trade Association, and a director of the Chamber of Commerce.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)