Andrew Whitelaw, Family Grocer and Provision Merchant, 52, Grove Street.—
A prominent house in the grocery and provision trade industry is that conducted by Mr. Andrew Whitelaw, late assistant to Mr. William McKnight, who founded the business in 1874, and on whose death it came into the possession of the present proprietor. The depot is a comer edifice at the junction of Grove and Baird Streets, having a window frontage to each thoroughfare.
The stock held, which is very large, consists entirely of grocery and provisions of the highest merit in point of quality and freshness. Teas of the finest blends are here found in grand display ; cheese and butter from all the districts noted for these products ; bacon, prime Wiltshire and home-fed. Eggs in abundance, pickles, sauces, jams, jellies, canned meats, small-wares for domestic cleaning purposes, &c., from all the best manufacturers extant ; sugar the finest, lumps and moist ; biscuits, by all the celebrated makers ; tea-cakes, and the innumerable items comprehended in the term provisions. All the goods are kept in excellent order, and the business is conducted in an able manner. The trade is principally local, and well established among the better class of customers. Mr. Whitelaw is thoroughly acquainted with all the branches of the business, and highly esteemed by his numerous patrons.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)