James Wilson

James Wilson, Cab and Carriage Hirer, 8, Great Wellington Street, and 9, South Kinning Place, Paisley Road.ó

    The cab and carriage hiring business is well represented by Mr. James Wilson at 8, Great Wellington Street, Kinning Park. This business was established by the late Mr. James Wilson, sen., the father of the present proprietor, whose experience extended over a period of forty years, and who commenced business on his own account about forty-two years ago in Dale Street, Tradeston, and after some changes finally removed to the present address in 1876. The firm can safely be said to be one of the oldest in the city, and it maybe mentioned that when the late Mr. Wilson some forty-two years ago, as already stated, set up as a cab and carriage hirer, at that time there was no such thing as a four-wheeler in the city, and he was about the first to introduce them. Prior to engaging in the cab business Mr. Wilson was a railway carriage builder, and built the first first-class carriage that was used on the old Ayr line, now known as the Glasgow and South Western Railway. This carriage was built at Stirling, some forty miles or so from Glasgow, and great trouble was experienced in bringing it by road to the latter place, Mr. Wilson having had to borrow horses to draw it from the farmers on the way. However, it was safely landed in Glasgow and put on the line.

    Mr. Wilsonís premises have a frontage to the street of about sixty feet, and comprise an office, large yard, stabling for twenty horses, with suitable hay-loft and other conveniences and accommodation for a large number of cabs and carriages of every description. There are also branch offices at 17, Kensington Terrace, Ibrox, and 9, South Kinning Place, off Paisley Road, and at each of these places orders are received. There is telephonic communication between the head office and branches, and they are all open night and day. Mr. Wilsonís business is well-equipped with a full supply of good plant, an efficient stud of good horses, and staff of drivers and stable hands. He is highly respected, and his services are duly appreciated by a large and increasing number of patrons in the Paisley Road and Ibrox district.

Back to Index of Firms (1888)