THE architect of the Glasgow and West of Scotland
Technical College is a son of Hugh Barclay, sculptor, and was born in Glasgow in
1846. He was educated at various public schools in the city, and was a partner
with his late brother in the firm of H. & D. Barclay, architects. He has been
architect of no fewer than forty schools, and among the churches he has built
are St. George's-in-the-Fields Parish Church, Hillhead Congregational Church,
and the Chalmers and Cunninghame Free Churches. He was architect of the Sailors'
Orphan Homes at Kilmacolm, of Messrs. Hunter, Barr, & Company's warehouse in
Queen Street, and of the Glasgow offices of Messrs. J. & P. Coats, Ltd. One of
his later successes was in the competition for the Glasgow and West of Scotland
Technical College already referred to; and with his brother he was the architect
of Glasgow Academy and of Greenock Municipal Buildings.
Mr. Barclay has been a Councillor of the Royal Institute of British Architects and of the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine arts, and was President of the Glasgow Institute of Architects from 1898 to 1900. He has also been Deacon of the Incorporation of Masons, Master of the Lodge of Glasgow St. John, No. 3 Bis, and Provincial Grand Architect of the Province of Glasgow. He has further been twice Vice-President of the Glasgow Art Club, and is a Governor of the Glasgow School of Art and a member of the Merchants' House.
Mr. Barclay married the eldest daughter of the late John E. Walker, Kelvinside, and has one son and three daughters.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)