THE President of the Glasgow Institute of Architects was born in what was then the village of Springburn in 1854, was educated at Glasgow High School, served his apprenticeship to the profession of architect in his father's office, and in due course became a partner of the firm. His services are in frequent request in valuation and arbitration cases. Mr. Bell's father before him was President of the Glasgow Institute, and among well-known buildings designed by the firm of Clarke & Bell are the County Buildings in Ingram and Wilson Streets, erected in 1843 and 1844. As Architect to the Court House Commissioners, Mr. Bell reconstructed the interior of these buildings, and designed the new front in Ingram Street. He also planned the Grosvenor Restaurant throughout, before and after the fire. Colonel Bell is a well-known member of the Trades' House. He has been Deacon of the Incorporation of Wrights, and sat as a liner of the Dean of Guild Court for three years. He has also been President of the Deacons' Association, and was Preses of the Anderston Weavers' Society in 1903. He was long also an enthusiastic volunteer. After serving in the 3rd L.R.V. as a private, he took a commission in the 1st L.A.V., and rose through the various grades till 1893, when he retired with the rank of Honorary Colonel and the Volunteer Decoration.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)