THE Rev. Sholto Douglas Campbell, M.A., second Baron
Blythswood, is the second son of the late Archibald Douglas of Mains, who
succeeded to the Blythswood estate in 1838, and assumed the name of Campbell.
After spending some time at Cheam School, he was educated for the army, but
presently, with a view to holy orders, he entered Trinity College, Cambridge,
where he graduated B.A. in 1864 and M.A. in 1878. In the following year he was
ordained by the Bishop of Worcester, and after holding successive appointments
at Nuneaton, Gateshead, and Derby, he was assigned by the Crown the District
Rectory of All Souls, Marylebone, in 1878. He took an active part in initiating
the parochial mission movement in the Church of England, and though he had
inherited the estate of Douglas Support, near Coatbridge, from Brigadier-General
Sir Thomas Monteith Douglas in 1868, he remained in his English charge till
1887. In that year he accepted the incumbency of St. Silas' English Episcopal
Church, off Woodlands Road, Glasgow, which had been built by his father and
others. This charge he resigned only in 1899. He succeeded his brother, the
first Lord Blythswood, in the title and estates in July, 1908. A month
previously his own historic residence of Douglas Support had been destroyed by
fire, but it is being rebuilt and will be occupied by his brother and heir
General Barrington C. Douglas.
His Lordship has for long been in the habit of holding a conference of clergymen of all evangelical denominations at Douglas Support thrice a year for consideration of devotional and missionary subjects. He has three mission halls on the estate, and supports a resident missionary and Bible-woman.
In 1899 he married Violet Mary, daughter of the late Lord Alfred Paget, and grand-daughter of the late Marquis of Anglesey. She died in June, 1908.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)