A NATIVE of Aberdeenshire, born in 1842, Dr. Bremner
received his early education at the parish schools of Drumblade and Kinnoir, and
in private. He entered Glasgow University in 1861, and graduated M.A. in 1866.
He entered the Glasgow Free Church College in the same year taking first
bursary, and he finished his course in 1870, taking the Joshua Paterson
Fellowship (£110 for two years). He continued his theological studies at
Tübingen for two semesters, chiefly under Beck and Oehler, and was licensed by
the Free Presbytery of Glasgow in 1871. In the same year he became assistant at
Alexandria, and in the following year at Wellpark, Greenock, and was settled as
minister of the Free High Church, Partick, in 1872.
In the following year he graduated B.D. at Glasgow University; in 1889 he received the honorary degree of D.D.; and in 1896 he was appointed one of the University examiners for the degree of B.D.
He became a member of Govan Parish School Board in 1888, and held the office of chairman from 1891 till 1897.
In 1896 he was appointed clerk to the Free Church Presbytery of Glasgow. At the union of the churches in 1900 he became Joint Clerk of the United Free Church Presbytery of Glasgow - a court with 560 members; and in 1902 he was appointed sole clerk, with two assistants.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)