SON of Robert Bryden, Royal Bank Place, Glasgow, and Margaret Ramage, Kirkurd, Peeblesshire. Mr. Bryden was born in Glasgow in 1841, and was educated at arthur's Academy, Dunoon, and Kirkcaldy Grammar School. He is a member of the long established firm of Clarke & Bell, architects in Glasgow. Among the notable public buildings which he has designed are the Orphan Homes of Scotland and Consumption Hospitals at Bridge of Weir, the Y.M.C.A. Club and Bible Training Institute in Bothwell Street, and Clackmannanshire County Hospital. Examples of his domestic architecture are the mansions of Southbar at Bishopton and Seafield at Ayr, the residence of Sir William Arrol, M.P. He is a Fellow of the Surveyors' Institute and of the Royal Institute of British Architects, and he has been Deacon of the Incorporation of Wrights, a Liner of Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, and a Director of the Scottish National Sabbath School Union. For many years an enthusiastic volunteer, he is an Honorary Major of the 1st Lanarkshire Artillery Volunteers, and holds the Victoria Decoration. He has travelled considerably in Germany, Italy, the Austrian Tyrol, and other parts of Europe. In 1865 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Archibald Robertson, ironfounder, Glasgow, and has a family of five sons and two daughters.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)