THE Professor of Clinical Surgery in Glasgow University was born 30th September, 1843, in Demerara, where his father, the late Donald Cameron, was a well-known sugar planter and owner of Plantation Zeelugt. Sir Hector was educated at St. Andrews, Edinburgh, and Glasgow Universities, and took the degrees of M.B.C.M., at Glasgow in 1866 and of M.D. two years later. He was appointed a House Surgeon in the Royal Infirmary in 1867 under Professor, now Lord, Lister, whom he also assisted in private work for a couple of years, till Professor Lister went to Edinburgh. From 1874 till 1881 he held the appointment of Surgeon to the Royal Infirmary, but in the latter year he was appointed to a similar post at the Western. During his three years' presidency of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons that body celebrated its tercentenary, and in 1900 he received the honour of knighthood from Queen Victoria. In the same year, on the retiral of Professor George Buchanan, he was appointed to the chair in the University, which he still holds.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)