THE Very Rev. Archibald Ean Campbell, Bishop of the
Diocese of Glasgow and Galloway, is directly descended from Archibald, son of
the second Earl of Argyll. He is a son of the late Colonel Campbell of Skipness,
author of "The Old Forest Ranger," and other works, and counts among his
ancestors that Daniel Campbell of Shawfield, M.P. for Glasgow in the early 18th
century, to whose generosity the city owes the earliest of its public parks,
Glasgow Green, who was one of the Scottish Commissioners who signed the Treaty
of Union, and whose house, the famous Shawfield mansion, was wrecked by the mob
because of his vote for the malt tax. With the indemnity paid him by the
Government, Campbell of Shawfield bought his Hebridean estate, and became
Campbell of Islay.
Bishop Campbell received his education at King William's College, Isle of Man; Clare College, Cambridge; and the Theological College at Cuddesdon. He graduated B.A. in 1880, was ordained deacon by the Bishop of Oxford in 1881, and in 1882 received priest's orders at the hands of the Bishop of Llandaff. He was first curate at Aberdare in Wales, then Rector of Castle Rising in Norfolk, and in 1891 accepted the charge of the Hook Memorial Church of All Souls at Leeds. There he became noted as a preacher and exerted a powerful influence on the social life of the city. He was President of the Leeds Caledonian Society, and Chaplain of the Leeds Rifle Volunteers, whom he accompanied every year to camp for the purpose of holding a daily service. In 1901 he came north as Provost of St. Ninian's Cathedral at Perth, and two years later was elected to succeed the late Bishop Harrison in his present Episcopal charge. His consecration took place in St. Mary's, Glasgow, 24th February, 1904.
Forthwith the new Bishop set himself to organise actively the work of his diocese. He visited every charge, made two tours in South Africa on Church Missionary business, and took an active part in the founding of the Church Army Home in Glasgow in 1904.
During his episcopate he has been responsible for opening a number of new missions, and in the Councils of the Church fills the position of Convener of the Church Extension Committee. The most recent of his successful enterprises was the elevation of St. Mary's Church, Glasgow, to the position of the Cathedral Church of the diocese. Bishop Campbell is widely read and travelled, and an eloquent and original preacher, possessed of the "saving grace" of humour. In 1889 he was one of the speakers specially invited to address the Church Congress at Cardiff, and he has on several occasions occupied the pulpit at Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's.
In 1885 Bishop Campbell married the Hon. Helen Brodrick, second daughter of Viscount Middleton, and sister of the Right Hon. St. John Brodrick, successively Secretary for War and Secretary for India in the late Unionist Government. Mrs. Campbell has always taken a deep interest in church work, having carried on a large Sunday School in Leeds for ten years, taken the initiative in extending the National Home Reading Union there, and identified herself with the Union of Women Workers.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)