FOR more than three generations the firm of J. & W. Campbell & Co. has been one of the most important commercial enterprises of Glasgow. It is now in the hands of the third generation of its founder's family. Mr. Pearce Campbell, who with Mr. W. A. Campbell and Mr. J. Adair Campbell is now actively at the head of the business, is a grandson of the late William Campbell of Tullichewan, and a half-cousin of Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman, late Prime Minister, and was born in Glasgow in 1853. He served his time in the counting-house department of the great warehouse in Ingram Street, and succeeded to the management of that department on the retiral of his cousin Mr. George Langlands some twenty-five years ago. Apart from his business he takes an active part in the public life of Glasgow, and in 1908 was made a Deputy-Lieutenant for the county. He is a member of the Trades' House, and in 1896-7 was Deacon of the Weavers' Incorporation. He is also a director of the Merchants' House, and was chosen Lord Dean of Guild in succession to Mr. Thomas Mason in October, 1908. He is further a director of the Maternity Hospital, Nobel's Explosives Company, and the North British and Mercantile Insurance Company, while he is chairman of the Glasgow Savings Bank. He was for long also an enthusiastic Volunteer, having served for twenty-two years in the 1st L.R.V., for which he now holds the Volunteer Decoration and the honorary rank of Major. He has a son, Mr. James Clark Campbell, who takes part in the active management of the business.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)