SIR CHARLES CAYZER

    THE head of the firm of Cayzer, Irvine & Co., owners of the Clan Line of steamers, is a son of the late Charles William Cayzer, of Heatherleigh, Devonshire. In 1892 he was returned in the Conservative interest as M.P. for Barrow-in-Furness, and his re-election in 1900 was unopposed. In 1895 he gave 10,000 towards the erection of the Sailors' Orphan Homes at Kilmacolm. In 1897 he was knighted, and he has since received the honour of a baronetcy. He is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, Honorary Colonel of the 1st Lanarkshire Volunteer artillery, and a Justice of the Peace for Renfrewshire, Stirlingshire, and Dunbartonshire. For many years he resided at Ralston, near Paisley, but some time ago he acquired the estate of Gartmore from Mr. R. B. Cunningham Graham. He is also owner of the estate of Newtyle, in Forfarshire. Angling, shooting, and golf are his holiday occupations, and he has travelled in South Africa, Egypt, India, China, and Japan. He married in 1868 Agnes Elizabeth, only daughter of Mr. William Trickey, Clifton, and has a family of three daughters and six sons. Two of his sons entered the army, one the navy, and three are partners in their father's firm.

Back to Index of Glasgow Men (1909)