SON of the late James Craig and Margaret Brown, Mr. Hunter Craig was born at Partick in 1839, and was educated at Partick and Glasgow Academies and privately. In 1873 he founded the mercantile business of R. Hunter Craig & Co., Ltd., produce and flour importers, of Glasgow, Liverpool, and London, of which he is chairman. He has been for fourteen years Chairman of Skelmorlie School Board. He is also a Director of the Scottish Temperance Life Assurance Co., Ltd., and has given a life-long attention to philanthropic and religious work. For eighteen years he has been President and Chairman of the Glasgow Mizpah Band, and he is a Director of the Glasgow Limited Evangelistic Association. He is a J.P. for the counties of Lanark and Ayr, and from 1900 to 1906 sat as member of Parliament in the Liberal interest for Govan Division of Lanarkshire. Mr. Hunter Craig owns the estate of West Dunmore, in the parishes of St. Ninians and Airth, Stirlingshire, and he resides at West Park, Skelmorlie, Ayrshire.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)