DR. CARSTAIRS DOUGLAS was born 1st October, 1866, at
Kirkcaldy, Fife, and was third son of Mr. Robert Douglas. On the father's side
he is connected with the West of Scotland, his grandfather having been the Rev.
Robert Douglas, parish minister of Kilbarchan, and one of his great-grandfathers
Robert Douglas, of Barloch, while the other was the Rev. John Monteath, D.D.,
parish minister of Houston. His mother, a Miss Cumming, was born in Russia,
where both her father and grandfather had lived for many years. Dr, Douglas
received his education at George Watson's College, Edinburgh, for eight years,
and after a year in Canada, began his student life at Edinburgh in 1884, He
attended the arts, Medical, and Science classes, and graduated M.B., C.M. (being
first in First-Class Honours) in 1890, and B.Sc. in Public Health in 1891.
During his student career he gained many class honours and scholarships, the
most important being the Ettles Prize, awarded annually to the most
distinguished graduate of the year, the Buchanan Scholarship in Midwifery, and
the Leckie-Mactier Fellowship of the value of £230.
After graduating he occupied various hospital posts, and studied at Berlin. Two years previously he had visited America and seen many of the chief hospitals there. In the spring of 1892 he became assistant to Dr. Haldane at Bridge of Allan, and in the latter part of the same year began practice at Skelmorlie and Wemyss Bay, where he remained over five years. He moved to Glasgow in 1898, where, in addition to his practice as a physician, he has devoted himself largely to clinical chemistry and the teaching of public health. For eight years he has been Professor of Medical Jurisprudence in Anderson's College Medical School, of which institution he is also a Governor. He is a Director of the West of Scotland Clinical Research Laboratory; a Fellow of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons, and one of their Examiners in Public Health; Pathologist to the Glasgow Maternity Hospital; and Chief Medical Officer for the Liverpool and London and Globe Insurance Company. In 1907 he was appointed Lecturer on Hygiene under the Provincial Committee for the Training of Teachers. He is author of a work on "Chemical and Microscopical Aids to Clinical Diagnosis" (1899), of one on "School Hygiene," (1907), and of many papers in the leading medical journals. His wife is Anita Helena, eldest daughter of the late W. E. Lockhart, R.S.A.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)