THE minister of Belhaven Church is a son of the Rev. James
Drummond, minister successively in Cupar-Fife and in Irvine. He was born at
Leven, Fife, in 1828, and was educated, first by his father, and afterwards at
Edinburgh High School, at Glasgow University, and at the United Presbyterian
Theological Hall in Edinburgh. His first charge was the Presbyterian Church in
Fisher Street, Carlisle, and he has since been minister in succession of St.
James' Place Church, Edinburgh, Erskine Church, Glasgow, St. John's Wood
Presbyterian Church, London, and his present charge. In 1869, Glasgow University
conferred on him the degree of D.D., and he was elected to deliver a course of
lectures on Pastoral Theory in the Presbyterian Church, London, in 1878, and in
the United Presbyterian College, Edinburgh, in 1890.
Dr. Drummond has travelled widely, not only on the Continent, but in the United States and in Canada. He married, in 1854, Jeanie, second daughter of the Rev. John French, D.D., Edinburgh, and has surviving a son, the Rev. R. J. Drummond, B.D., D.D., Edinburgh, and Jane Elizabeth, married to Joseph H. Whitehorn, London. Mrs. Drummond died 9th June, 1908.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)