BAILIE DUNLOP is the elder son of the late Thomas Dunlop,
grain merchant and ship owner, Glasgow, and was born in the city in 1855. He was
educated at Glasgow Academy, and for a time before going into business, filled
in his leisure by attendance at the old Andersonian College. He first served an
apprenticeship in the office of Messrs. Gillespie, Cathcart, & Fraser, one of
the largest foreign merchant firms of Glasgow of the time, then he passed into
his father's business. The first business of the firm of Thomas Dunlop & Sons
was that of grain merchants, but the firm now carries on in addition, that of
shipowners and marine insurance brokers and Lloyd's agents. Their fleet is the
Queen Line of steamers and the Clan Line of sailing ships. Bailie Dunlop and his
younger brother are now the heads of the firm. He is Consul for the Republic of
Paraguay, while his brother holds the same office for that of Hayti.
He entered Glasgow Town Council in 1901 as a representative for the Broomilaw Ward, and has sat continuously since then. Among the committees of which he has been a member, he for long took most interest in that on Sewage, but of late he has been chiefly concerned in the work of the Parks Committee, of which he is Vice-Convenor. He has been a magistrate since 1905.
He is on the Commission of the Peace for Renfrewshire, having a house at Wemyss Bay. He also takes an active part in politics in that county in the Conservative interest.
He finds occasional recreation in trout angling; but his chief pastime is yachting, and for six years he owned the Bloodhound, built, and now repurchased by the Marquis of Ailsa, which was sunk at Cowes shortly after its present owner reacquired it in 1908. His present craft is the Psyche, also a notable racing boat; but most of the racing Bailie Dunlop now leaves to his sons. He is Vice-Commodore of the Royal Gourock Yacht Club, and is on the Committees of the Royal Clyde and Royal Northern Clubs, besides being a member of the Clyde Corinthian Club and the Holy Loch Club. In addition to these, and apart from yachting, he is a member of the Conservative Club, the New Club, the United Anglers' Club, and the Paisley Club.
He is a Director of the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine arts, and was Vice-President of Glasgow Art Club for the two years ending in 1908. He possesses a representative collection of pictures of the Glasgow school.
In 1879 he married Miss Mitchell, and has a family of three sons and three daughters.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)