THE senior partner of the firm of Montgomerie & Flemings
comes of an old Rutherglen family of his name. Born in Rutherglen in 1833, he,
after receiving his early education at Rutherglen and Glasgow, studied arts and
Law at the University of Glasgow, and was admitted a member of the General
Council in 1865. He began practical life in the law office of Messrs. W. A. & J.
Graham, and was admitted a member of the Faculty of Procurators in 1867. Two
years later he was assumed a partner of the firm of Montgomerie & Flemings, of
which he is now the chief.
Conservative in politics, he acted for many years as agent for that party in the Kilmarnock District of Burghs. He also acted for some time as agent in Glasgow for South Ayrshire. From 1879 till 1882 he was Provost of Rutherglen, which his great-grandfather had been before him. Under his rule many improvements were effected in the ancient burgh, including the formation of a new cemetery, the modernising of streets, and the improvement of Rutherglen Green; and on his leaving Rutherglen in 1896 he was presented with a public address by the burgesses. Among other public offices he has been a Governor of the Glasgow and the West of Scotland Technical College, a Governor of Baillie's Institution, and a Governor and Honorary Secretary of the Victoria Infirmary, and he is now honorary treasurer of that institution. His favourite recreations are angling and walking, and he has travelled in most of the countries of Europe.
In 1870 Mr. Fleming married Isabella Wark, eldest daughter of Mr. John Pinkerton of Hogganfield, and he has a family of five sons.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)