BORN in Glasgow in 1862, and educated at a private school and at the
Universities of Glasgow and Leipzig, Professor Henderson graduated B.Sc. at
Glasgow University in 1881; M.A. with First-Class Honours in Natural Science in
1884 (gaining at the same time the Clark Fellowship) and D.Sc. in 1890. He was
appointed Assistant to the Professor of Chemistry in Glasgow University in 1884,
and Lecturer on Chemistry in Queen Margaret College, Glasgow, in 1889. In 1892
he was appointed to his present post, the "Freeland" Chair of Chemistry in the
Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College.
Professor Henderson has held the appointment of Examiner in Chemistry to the Universities of Glasgow and St. Andrews, and is at present Examiner to the Institute of Chemistry, London. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Chemistry and of the Chemical Societies of London and Berlin, has been a Member of Council and Vice-President of the Society of Chemical Industry, and a Member of Council of the Royal Philosophical Society, Glasgow, and was for several years Hon. Secretary and then Chairman of the Scottish Section of the Society of Chemical Industry. He is one of the Secretaries of Section B. of the British Association. He married in 1895 Agnes Mackenzie, daughter of the late John Craufurd Kerr.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)