BAILIE HUNTER was born at the Yett, in the parish of Johnstone, Dumfriesshire in 1847, and is the eldest son of Mr. James Hunter, late magistrate of the royal burgh of Lochmaben. He started business in Victoria Road, Glasgow, as a grocer and wine merchant, in 1871, and in partnership with his brother George has built up a business with branches in various parts of the city. His active part in public affairs dates from the formation of the Burgh of Govanhill. During the whole existence of that burgh he was one of its commissioners, and he was its Provost for six years. He also represented Strathbungo on the Renfrewshire County Council Board. He entered Glasgow Town Council in 1891, as representative for Govanhill Ward, and was again returned in 1900 for the neighbouring ward of Langside. In 1904 his services were recognised by his election as a bailie, which office, along with that of Convener of the Watching and Lighting Committee, he still holds. He is a Justice of the Peace for Renfrewshire, and for the County of the City of Glasgow, and has for many years been a director of Glasgow Dumfriesshire Society. In 1901 Mr. Hunter married Elizabeth, third daughter of Mr. George Thomson, late Goods Manager of the Highland Railway, by whom he has a family of one daughter and one son. His chief recreation is travel.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)