THE Member of Parliament for East Renfrewshire is a son of the late William Laidlaw, farmer, Bonchester, Roxburghshire, and was born 10th January, 1856. He was educated at Kirkton and Denholm parish schools, and, entering upon a business career, resided for twenty years in India. He is chairman of the firm of Whiteaway, Laidlaw & Co., Ltd., of London, India, and China, and is proprietor of tea estates in Darjeeling and of rubber estates in the Federated Malay States. He is also a director of the Pilot Insurance Corporation.
In 1906, at the General Election, he was returned for the East Renfrewshire constituency in the Liberal interest. In 1908 he was appointed one of the British representatives on the International Opium Commission.
Mr. Laidlaw married in 1879, Mary E., daughter of Captain W. B. Collins, and widow of the late W. L. Francis. He is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, and a member of the Reform, National Liberal, and Glasgow Liberal Clubs.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)