DR. MILLIGAN is a native of Stirlingshire, having been born in Denny on 28th August, 1844. He was educated at Denny Parish School and subsequently at Falkirk Parish and Grammar School. Having decided to enter the teaching profession, he became a student in the Established Church Training College, Dundas Vale, Glasgow, during the rectorship of the late Joseph Douglas. Afterwards he attended Glasgow University, and graduated M.A. in 1875.
For eight years - from 1866 to 1875 - he was headmaster of "Mitchell School," Anderston, Glasgow. In the latter year the first School Board of Glasgow appointed him headmaster of London Road Public School, a post which he held till August, 1878, when Garnethill Public School was opened under his charge. Almost from the very first the excellence of the work done in this school placed it more in the class of secondary than of elementary schools. During the six succeeding years the number of scholars who desired an advanced education had increased to such an extent that it became necessary to build an additional school for their accommodation. This new school was opened in December, 1886. Since 1894 the school has been purely a girls' school in both its primary and secondary departments, and in November, 1899, it was raised by the School Board to the status of a Higher Class School under the name of "The Glasgow High School for Girls."
In recognition of his services in the cause of education, the University of Glasgow, on the occasion of its ninth jubilee in June, 1901, included Dr. Milligan among those on whom honorary degrees were conferred.
In August, 1903, Dr. Milligan celebrated his semi-jubilee as head of Garnethill School, and he on that occasion was the recipient of numerous tokens of the esteem in which he was held by staff and pupils, both past and present. He has since retired from the position.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)