SON of David Murray, writer, Dr. Murray was born at Glasgow in 1842, and was educated at Merchiston Castle School and Glasgow University. He is a member of the firm of Maclay, Murray, & Spens, writers, and was Dean of the Faculty of Procurators from 1895 to 1898. He was also Rector's Assessor in the University Court from 1896 to 1899, and has been a Director of the Merchants' House and of the Chamber of Commerce. He is the author of a number of volumes on law and archaeology, and has written frequently in the periodical press on the same subjects. He is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and has been Vice-President of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. He was also President of the Glasgow Archaeological Society from 1895 to 1898. In recognition of his attainments Glasgow University conferred on him the degree of LL.D.
Dr. Murray has travelled widely in the United Kingdom, on the Continent, and in America. He is also a yachtsman and a book collector. In 1872 he married Frances Porter, daughter of the late Arthur Francis Stoddard, of Broadfield, Port-Glasgow, by whom he has a son and three daughters.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)