ANDREW HISLOP PETTIGREW

    THE President of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Retail Drapers' Association is a native of New Lanark, and was educated in that community made famous as an educational centre by Robert Owen. After serving as an apprentice to the drapery trade in Lanark, he came to Glasgow, and was successively in the employment of Messrs. Daly & Co., Messrs. Copland & Lye, and the Polytechnic, before he entered into partnership with the late Mr. Stephens in 1890, and began the business in Sauchiehall Street, now known as Pettigrew & Stephens, Limited. On the death of Mr. Stephens in 1896 he became sole proprietor. The business increased rapidly under his energetic management, till it is now one of the largest undertakings of the kind in Scotland, and employs six hundred "hands." In 1904 it was converted into a limited company with a capital of 170,000. Part of the premises occupied by the firm is the fine architectural building, formerly the home of the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine arts. In 1908 Mr. Pettigrew accepted an invitation to become managing director also of the business of Stewart & Macdonald on Mr. Keddie's resignation.

    As Deacon of the Incorporation of Bonnetmakers, Mr. Pettigrew rendered worthy service to the Trades' House, and in 1907, on the retiral of Bailie Gray, he, at the unanimous request of the Ward Committee, contested the Cowcaddens Ward for the Town Council, and was elected after an exciting fight by a huge majority. At the Drapers' Association dinner a few months afterwards, Sir William Bilsland, the Lord Provost, suggested that "even the highest civic honours might yet be in store for Councillor Pettigrew." The calls of business, however, forced him to retire from the Council in 1908. His chief interests outside business and Council work are social work and politics, and his chief recreation is motoring.