SIR JOHN SHEARER
SON of a father of the same name, the late head of the famous firm of dry-dock owners and ship repairers was born in Oswald Street, Glasgow, in 1843. and received his education at Kingston Parish School, Carlton Place School, Glasgow Mechanics' Institute, and the School of art. After serving an apprenticeship as a joiner with his father's firm he became a partner in the business. Beginning with a slip-dock at Kingston Dock, the firm afterwards acquired Kelvinhaugh Slip-dock and Engineering Works, and in 1902, after formation into a limited company, removed to new works at Scotstoun.
Besides his active work as managing director of the business, Sir John took a wide interest in public affairs. He entered Glasgow Town Council as representative for Kingston Ward in 1883, and was a magistrate from 1884 to 1889, and a member of the Clyde Trust from 1889 to 1899. He was vice-chairman of the Glasgow International Exhibitions of 1888 and 1901, and in the latter case was also chairman of the Buildings Committee, and it was especially in recognition of his services to the great enterprise of 1901 that, two years later, he received the honour of knighthood. On his retiral from the Town Council in 1903 he was presented with his portrait, painted by Sir James Guthrie, P.R.S.A. He was a Justice of the Peace and Deputy-Lieutenant for the County of the City of Glasgow, and President of Tradeston Conservative Association. He was a devoted member of the Church of Scotland, and several times represented Glasgow Corporation at the General Assembly.
By his marriage with Margaret, daughter of Mr. James Dykes, Sir John had a family of five daughters and four sons. He had travelled in most of the countries of Europe as well as in Egypt, Canada, and the United States. Sir John died at Dowanhill, 28th February, 1908.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)