THE Professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics in Glasgow University was born at Leith in 1861, his parents being natives of Ireland and Banffshire respectively. He was educated at Edinburgh High School and Edinburgh University, and afterwards studied at the Universities of Strassburg and Vienna. He held the positions of House Physician and Assistant Physician in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, Assistant to the Professor of Materia Medica, and Physician to the Deaconess Hospital, Edinburgh ; and afterwards, while engaging in private practice, he was a Lecturer in the Edinburgh School of Medicine. He received the appointment to his present Chair in 1897, and after coming to Glasgow was also appointed Physician to the Western Infirmary. He is the author of a number of papers which have appeared from time to time in the journals of his profession, is unmarried, and spends his annual holiday for the most part in Scotland.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)