A. M. TORRANCE
THE late Member for the Central Division of Glasgow was a native of Old Cumnock, and was born in 1845. He was educated at Cumnock parish school, and when sixteen was apprenticed to Messrs. Peter Kelso & Co., muslin manufacturers, Glasgow. Thence he went to London to the employment of Messrs. Smith, Anderson & Co., and in 1875 became a partner in that firm, which changed its name to Miller, Son, & Torrance, and is now a limited company. Mr. Torrance had been deputy-chairman, vice-chairman and chairman of London County Council, and twice Mayor of Islington, and he had contested East Islington unsuccessfully in 1900 before he entered Parliament in 1906 as Liberal member for one of the Glasgow constituencies. In the same year he received the honour of knighthood. He died on 14th February, 1909.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)