MR. WHITSON is the son of a mill furnisher, and was born in Glasgow in 1842. He was educated privately and began business for himself as a measurer in 1868. Among the buildings on which he has been employed are the Kelvingrove art Galleries, Glasgow City Chambers, Ruchill Hospital, Hawkhead Asylum, and the reconstruction of the Royal Infirmary.
Apart from his business he was a Commissioner for the Burgh of Hillhead in 1891, and is Chairman of the Executive Committee of Hillhead and Kelvinside Liberal Unionist Association, and was for many years a member of the Business Committee of the West of Scotland Liberal Unionist Association. He was also a member of the Building Committee and Executive of the Glasgow International Exhibitions of 1888 and 1901, and was a Director and Vice-Chairman of the Scottish Temperance League. He is a Justice of the Peace for the County of the City of Glasgow, and Chairman of Kelvinside Ward Committee. And he was one of the original members of the 1st Lanarkshire Engineer Volunteers, in which he served for some sixteen years, and attained the rank of Captain, and from which he retired in 1875. He is married, and has a family of one son and two daughters.